Two updates so close to each other!

We've further optimized the drawing of icons by using a flag to check whether we need to update them or not. We've also added support for descriptions in the program menu, taking up the lower half of the status bar!

Let us know what you think!
Sweet can you move the icons over a character space.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

You could do this or you could move the icons over to the start of the program name before the archived symbol and then put a character space.
This looks great. Is it possible to add a big version of the icon of the currently select program over in that white space to the right?

Also, if you can run archived programs, it'd be cool to not show the archived indicator. Just kinda noise if basically everything is archived
ProgrammerBobSmith wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

You could do this or you could move the icons over to the start of the program name before the archived symbol and then put a character space.

That would be really quite difficult to do and slow down the menu a ton.

MateoConLechuga wrote:

We'll look into it, that could look good.

merthsoft wrote:
This looks great. Is it possible to add a big version of the icon of the currently select program over in that white space to the right?
Also, if you can run archived programs, it'd be cool to not show the archived indicator. Just kinda noise if basically everything is archived

That could be neat, but would slow down the menu a lot as well, especially on Rev M.

Before more people suggest stuff that would involve changing the menu, that will slow it down a bunch. The way it works now, we get the icons and draw them to VRAM after the OS draws its menu. Most of these other suggestions would involve us actually modifying the OS menu, which would be trickier and in some cases slow it down or mess stuff up.
Well, as merthsoft said, if there’s enough space (and the archived/index junk doesn’t matter), you can just overwrite that part of the screen. Shouldn’t be too hard.
We've added another OS-improvement feature! Like PHASM and Doors CSE, we support the editing of archived programs in the OS [prgm] menu! We put a toggleable option in the settings, along with an option for the icon and description hook. Another thing we've added in this update is support for editing programs through the shell, mostly using Cesium's code.

Nice work Smile

Also I'm glad my idea was able to be implemented haha, it looks good!
It's been a little while since the last update post. However, we've added quite a few useful features and patched some bugs as well. Here's a list of the features that RoccoLox and I have been working on over the past week:

▪ [on] + [prgm] hook to launch the shell
▪ [on] + [stat] hook to power off the calculator while saving your location in the OS. This is useful for if you're editing a long BASIC program or something which would take a lot of time to navigate back to if you used the normal power-off method.
▪ [on] + [sto->] and [on] + [ln] hook to enable and disable dark mode, respectively
▪ Handle running programs from the OS ourselves by using a homescreen hook, so you can "Goto" an error in an archived program from the error handler
▪ Add a menu to jump to labels in the program editor using [on] + [graph] (This is entirely Cesium's code, so all the credit for this feature goes to MateoC)
▪ Fix a bug where editing archived BASIC programs would corrupt almost the entire program (Oops!)

Here's a screenshot showcasing a few of the features we added in this update:

More updates coming soon!
Sorry Mateo but this now does more than your shell. I'm gonna test this shell for a month then come back and see what I like best. Very Happy
Also could you add a setting for the prgm button to automatically open ceashell?
What happens if I have both Cesium and CeAsHeLL installed and I do the [on]+[prgm] combo? Shock

Other than that, I'm definitively trying this out when it comes out. Smile
Invalid_Jake wrote:
Sorry Mateo but this now does more than your shell. I'm gonna test this shell for a month then come back and see what I like best. Very Happy
Also could you add a setting for the prgm button to automatically open ceashell?

I'm pretty sure that the only major feature this has that Cesium doesn't is the icons, and Cesium still has a lot of things (like USB stuff) that CEaShell doesn't. When we do have some sort of release out, we'll be happy for you to try it out, however! Smile

When you say a setting for the [prgm] button to open CEaShell, do you mean [on] + [prgm] like other shells? If so, we've already added it. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't make the [prgm] menu open CEaShell alone, since that removes a feature of the OS.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
What happens if I have both Cesium and CeAsHeLL installed and I do the [on]+[prgm] combo? Shock

Since we don't want weird things happening, we overwrite Cesium's shortcut hook stuff when ours is installed. (This applies to any shell using GetCSC hooks.) However, you can just open Cesium again to get them back, or open CEaShell to re-install ours, provided that the settings are enabled, of course.
Apologies for the double post! However, it wouldn't have really made sense to edit the previous one, as this is on a totally different topic. Anyways, we've added user-created color themes. This is (obviously) something other shells already have, but it's good to put it in CEaShell as well. Now you can not only pick from the preset color themes that come with the shell, but create your own! Here's some eyecandy of the theme-picker in action:

Be sure to let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions!
Nice colors, CEaShell might have more potential than Cesium? with many customizations, I think it would be an interesting shell for the CE.
I especially love the teal colors in the above screenshot. Smile
Big Update

Hey everyone! We're very excited to announce that after adding a few more smaller features, we have released a beta build of CEaShell exclusively in the discord server! (Note: You'll need to get the beta tester role to see it) Be sure to check it out and let us know what you think of it, and report any bugs in this topic or the discord! Have fun! Very Happy
What is the difference between CeaShell and Cesium?
TortillaMan wrote:

What are you looking for? They're just two different shells. They share a few features, Cesium has some features CEaShell doesn't (USB support), and vice versa (Cesium doesn't have icons in the program menu, CEaShell does). It's just up to you which features and shell you like best Smile
TIny_Hacker wrote:
TortillaMan wrote:

What are you looking for? They're just two different shells. They share a few features, Cesium has some features CEaShell doesn't (USB support), and vice versa (Cesium doesn't have icons in the program menu, CEaShell does). It's just up to you which features and shell you like best Smile

Why not borrow cesiums code and put USB support in?
Bit late, but congratulations on the recent progress on this! I look forward to testing out the beta release soon. I think you've done a very nice job with both providing a well-thought out GUI as well as new features that haven't been seen before (which are probably the key to competing against Cesium).

Keep up the great work!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours