darkwater4213 wrote:
Some better ideas: New Saint Andrews College in Moscow, Idaho; Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan; Patrick Henry College in... uh, somewhere, Virginia. These types of colleges will give you an excellent education without sapping all the life and money out of you.

They also make you into a complete moron with zero critical thinking skills, but that's besides the point.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
They also make you into a complete moron with zero critical thinking skills, but that's besides the point.

Explain. They're cheap and give you a good education. The degree will be accepted at face value pretty much anywhere. Why? Because it's a college degree! You know what? If they didn't give you an education, their degrees wouldn't be accepted. Employers aren't stupid. Again, I was coming from an economical standpoint. I'm concerned with money right now, not the other students.
darkwater4213 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Explain. They're cheap and give you a good education. The degree will be accepted at face value pretty much anywhere. Why? Because it's a college degree! You know what? If they didn't give you an education, their degrees wouldn't be accepted. Employers aren't stupid. Again, I was coming from an economical standpoint. I'm concerned with money right now, not the other students.

A christian college is *way* more expensive than any community college.
I never said otherwise. Those were simply the colleges I could think of off the top of my head. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to take a break from being personally attacked on religious grounds for a statement which had nothing to do with religion, and the point of which has been missed entirely.
r/woosh
Because of how many newer conservative forum members misbehaved due to religious motives on calculator forums in the last 15 years or so (especially in same-sex marriage threads), I'm not surprised to see so many people get defensive here whenever a newer member brings up anything even remotely related or connected to a religion.

Personally I would rather see newcomers who visit this thread for help attend a college that allow them to focus on studying in their favorite field rather than learning how to hate homosexual people.
darkwater4213 wrote:

Some general advice: hunt scholarships. Don't get a student loan -- it's a terrible way to raise money for college. Spend as much time as possible getting as many scholarships as possible. Don't go to a big-name college; that's a good way to go bankrupt. Some better ideas: New Saint Andrews College in Moscow, Idaho; Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan; Patrick Henry College in... uh, somewhere, Virginia. These types of colleges will give you an excellent education without sapping all the life and money out of you. Be judicious -- and frugal.

Well, it depends on who is paying for the education. My parents are going to be paying the majority of my tuition. However, my parents are middle class not upper class. I'm a senior in high school and I was accepted to Harvard Med school and Johns Hopkins (I applied to like 5 other schools but got rejected, rip!). At Johns Hopkins, instead of paying like 65k for tuition, due to lots of scholarships and FAFSA, my parents are paying less than 20k.

So yes, GET SCHOLARSHIPS, GET SCHOLARSHIPS, GET SCHOLARSHIPS, even if you're rich. Why do you want to pay money you can save? But on the other hand don't let money discourage you from a brand-name school. I will be pursuing a doctorate in chem/med, and JHU has the country's best medical school. The average JHU student graduates with less than 16k in debt. Also employers would value a degree from JHU above some college in the middle of nowhere (I don't mean to offend anyone, so I kept this anonymous), which means that you are more likely to quickly get a higher position and thus higher paycheck.

With all that being said, yes these colleges are extremely selective, but they are worth attending...even if you have to pay full price (which is almost never the case).
Ignore the spam post from FrankAbrams98 above, they will just take all your money, leaving none for college Sad. Don't smoke either, you will live a shorter lifespan if you do. I am still in high school, but I am thinking of majoring in either networking or computer science.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours