What arbitrary choice makes you better than your peers?
Team Valor
 40%  [ 16 ]
Team Instinct
 30%  [ 12 ]
Team Mystic
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 40

Although I've never spent more than an hour in aggregate playing Pokemon-franchise games and clones in my life (I know, scourge me as necessary), I have more than a passing interest in augmented reality. Therefore, I'm aware that there's a new Pokemon Go that has everyone running into traffic and running their phone batteries down at a fantastic rate. Are you guys playing? Are you looking for people with whom to trade? Or do we just want to focus on how graphing calculators are the far superior Pokemon platform choice?
In all honesty, I think stopping traffic on a highway and causing an accident on a highway is a worthy sacrifice to give when the reward is catching a Pikachu (or did he actually catch it?).
I have always loved Pokemon, but I have had trouble creating a Pokemon Go account.
It would be super cool, and very impressive if someone succeeded in creating a color Pokemon game that was half-decent.
What's a Pokemon Go? I'm half interested, but I doubt I would like it if it's a cell phone game, and I probably won't be able to use it anyway because I have a Galaxy SII. And I doubt the "smart phone competitor" HP Prime would be able to do the trick either.
In Spain (and all Europe) is unavaiable. You can install it from APK, but they are banning people, for playing in this regions.

I spect they make it avaiable here the fastest possible.

I'm a Pokemon and Final Fantasy freak
MURICA NUMBER ONE
I've heard is a rumor. (banning people for playing in other regions). But I don't know...
CHill wrote:
In all honesty, I think stopping traffic on a highway and causing an accident on a highway is a worthy sacrifice to give when the reward is catching a Pikachu (or did he actually catch it?).

I'm pretty sure the article you're referencing is a satire since they don't link to any other sources and. There's also the fact that Snopes has finally released a verdict about it. Though, I will say this: I was in the car with a friend and after we finished up at her place we set out but first she wanted to troll around the neighborhood looking for pokemon. I'm driving slowly around as she navigates me to where the pokemon are. She abruptly tells me to stop. It's 9pm at this point but I pull over to the curb and she plays the game.

I can certainly see how the article is at least believable. There was a few times where she'd repeatedly yell at me to stop. That was fun.

StrawberryFrostedPopTart wrote:
What's a Pokemon Go? I'm half interested, but I doubt I would like it if it's a cell phone game, and I probably won't be able to use it anyway because I have a Galaxy SII. And I doubt the "smart phone competitor" HP Prime would be able to do the trick either.

Since you haven't really gotten an answer. It's an "augmented reality" Pokemon game that takes place in the real world. Pokemon are found along streets, parks and, other areas. Water pokemon tend to hang around lakes and stuff while leafy pokemon can be found in parks and stuff. Of course, you can find all types of pokemon anywhere in the game not just in their "habitats."

Additionally landmarks (big and small), stores, etc are used as Pokeshops or something where you can purchase gear like Pokeballs and whatever else those sell. There are also gyms that you can fight in that anyone can set up. A house, a business, a park, etc. I don't know what's earned from defending/defeating gyms though. Also, by walking around in real life your pokemon gain experience and level up and stuff.

It's a pretty clever exercise game that has a bunch of my friends running around. I haven't quite gotten into it because I feel like a fool; I left pokemon behind when I was 12 or so? I'll enjoy in their shenanigans, like I documented above, and I'll keep up with the lingo and happenings so I can be genuinely interested and understand their gripes and victories but it's unlikely I'll play. Yes, I downloaded it and tried it out. But honestly, it's not my thing.
All I hope is that the game comes to Windows 10 Mobile, because I don't want to carry around 2 phones, and I don't want to spend more than I already have.
Alex wrote:
StrawberryFrostedPopTart wrote:

Since you haven't really gotten an answer. It's an "augmented reality" Pokemon game that takes place in the real world. Pokemon are found along streets, parks and, other areas. Water pokemon tend to hang around lakes and stuff while leafy pokemon can be found in parks and stuff. Of course, you can find all types of pokemon anywhere in the game not just in their "habitats."

Additionally landmarks (big and small), stores, etc are used as Pokeshops or something where you can purchase gear like Pokeballs and whatever else those sell. There are also gyms that you can fight in that anyone can set up. A house, a business, a park, etc. I don't know what's earned from defending/defeating gyms though. Also, by walking around in real life your pokemon gain experience and level up and stuff.

It's a pretty clever exercise game that has a bunch of my friends running around. I haven't quite gotten into it because I feel like a fool; I left pokemon behind when I was 12 or so? I'll enjoy in their shenanigans, like I documented above, and I'll keep up with the lingo and happenings so I can be genuinely interested and understand their gripes and victories but it's unlikely I'll play. Yes, I downloaded it and tried it out. But honestly, it's not my thing.

Hmm. I wouldn't want to be seen running around the CVS with my phone in my face asking for Pokéballs. I wouldn't want to walk into random people's houses like you do in Pokémon for the sole reason of a phone game. I'm sure I would look like a bumbling idiot, like those Google Glasses make you look like a bumbling idiot. I'll check out what it is on the Play Store, but I'm not planning on getting into it. I'll stick with the DS games.
Haha, you certainly won't be doing that. You just need to be a certain distance away from a gym or a Pokeshop to interact with it. No entering peoples houses and stuff, and Pokemon tend to appear around roads so finding one in a physical store is unlikely. It's really good at creating flash gatherings of like minded people, all playing the same game.

It's not for everyone, myself included, but it's only a few days old and already has an incredibly loyal following and incited tales of adventure.
In Manchester (where I live) there was a article on TV about someone who found a body in a river while playing pokemon. Why couldn't the police find it, if a pokemon go player could? Makes no sense at all.

No Pokemon on St-Lawrence River :<
Might I poke that all the gyms and pokestops are generated from another game, called ingress?
Luxen wrote:
Might I poke that all the gyms and pokestops are generated from another game, called ingress?
You might indeed! Ingress is a game that has been around for quite some time, also created by the company that made Pokemon Go. It is from crowdsourced Ingress contributions that Pokemon Go draws much of its data about where gyms and such are, as you said. In fact, if you're looking for a more complex "Augmented Reality" game than Pokemon Go, you should give Ingress a try, from what I've heard.
There was a Pokémon somewhere:
https://vimeo.com/174821377

Hahaha, so much crap that Rolling Eyes
My personal opinion on this:

Games are games, reality is reality.
You should never mix these two. If you do - you have all seen what happens. People cause accidents, break in houses and areas where they shouldn't be, cripple traffic, ...

Also it spreads addiction to games. I know people who are addicted to this game (Not one person or two, 10+ (!) in my class only!) and play it under the pretext that it is "healthy" and you have to "walk around" for it.

It makes me shudder when I go outside, see some guys with their phones crossing the road and cars have to brake really hard not to hit them. People take this game too seriously, they let it distract them too much, they dive too deep into it. It is Pokémon Go madness.

Again, all the things I wrote in this post are only my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
I couln't have said it better myself and agree wholeheartedly. However, I might point out that some good has come of it, for example a dog shelter gathering players to walk the dogs while they play.
Kydapoot wrote:
I couln't have said it better myself and agree wholeheartedly. However, I might point out that some good has come of it, for example a dog shelter gathering players to walk the dogs while they play.

Congrats, we have now retaught the human race how to walk around outside. Now, all we need to do is reform English and we will have utopia.
I wonder how trading will work... Will users be allowed to swap with each other or will it be like a market using coins... Or both

On the calculators (given lack of gps and cameras on them normally) we could perhaps have some programs helping with calculation of strategies like when to evolve and so on...
There is a GPS assembly program which allows you to connect to a GPS module with a small hardware hack.
Also, a came would be possible via ArTIcl (and, by the way, GPS would be too runnable form it).

Just as a project idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours