I personally think that a banner above the (quick) reply box warning users that it's an old topic would go a long way, or possibly as an additional warning to click through before submitting the post.

Showing datestamps on mobile would also probably help a lot, as (assuming that Cemetech follows general trends in this regard) an increasing number of new posters are using the mobile version of the site.
I second the datestamps on mobile idea--that's something that I've wanted myself for a while now, as it's a bit annoying to look at a topic on desktop just to know when a post was made. However, I'd still be concerned that people wouldn't bother to look at the datestamps if this was done.

Maybe this could work somewhat like the threads on Discord, where they are locked/archived and then can be reopened later on. This wouldn't even have to change anything about the actual functionality, and could just be something like the banner that commandblockguy mentioned (like: "This topic was last posted to 10 years ago, making a post now will reopen it"). Any immediately visible indication that the topic hasn't been posted to in a while should be enough, really.
epsilon5 wrote:
I second the datestamps on mobile idea--that's something that I've wanted myself for a while now, as it's a bit annoying to look at a topic on desktop just to know when a post was made. However, I'd still be concerned that people wouldn't bother to look at the datestamps if this was done.

Maybe this could work somewhat like the threads on Discord, where they are locked/archived and then can be reopened later on. This wouldn't even have to change anything about the actual functionality, and could just be something like the banner that commandblockguy mentioned (like: "This topic was last posted to 10 years ago, making a post now will reopen it"). Any immediately visible indication that the topic hasn't been posted to in a while should be enough, really.

I agree I find it a bit annoying not knowing when post was made and I dont want to necropost.
My userstyle fixes this, just too lazy to actually update it on the chrome store.

Code:
@media (max-width: 30em) {
    .indextrahigh {
        display: block!important;
    }
}

I'd rather just have it fixed. Accidental necro poster might not have the user style.
Invalid_Jake wrote:
I'd rather just have it fixed. Accidental necro poster might not have the user style.

Looks like someone is listening because its actually fixed now.
mr womp womp wrote:
Invalid_Jake wrote:

Looks like someone is listening because its actually fixed now.

Yep, definitely working on my cell phone now (the text does wrap around if the username and the date string are both long, but I don't really care that much and don't know how that could be avoided).

Thanks, Tari!
Yep definitely working thanks! Very Happy
I 100% agree with the "Necroposting" banner. it can be hard to tell how old a thread is, and less experienced users can easily not see the time. I guess, instead of responding to old threads, make a new one? Also, sticky threads should be excluded...
I know I couldn't touch the site's source with a 35 foot pole (10.6 meters, as obligated to say). Is there a git repository with the source? I would love to add features, even if it ends up being more useful for some sort of april fools joke.
The "old topic" warning would be my #1 priority.
I agree with an old topic warning, like "The last post in this thread is x old" and only show it if it is older than a half year or a full year. The Necroposting is getting a bit out of hand, with people posting on topics from 2020 or earlier.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours