I get ERR:SYNTAX.

Should I be running these through PRGM? prgmTEST for example?

Ah! ASM() I will test this now.
Running any of these programs with Asm(name) (Asm from Catalog) gives an error.
Tari wrote:
You should get a 8xp file that's no more than a few hundred bytes, so I don't know what you're getting out though it's not entirely surprising that the documentation I wrote without testing is wrong.

Feeding this into Brass (Brass.exe test.asm test.8xp) does what I expect, in any case:
Code:
.binarymode TI8X
.org $9d93
.db $bb, $6d
    ret

I have tried this program with Asm token from Catalog, and then from the prgm menu, selecting test: Asm(prgmTEST).

I just get the word Done afterwards. Should it show something on screen?
matalog wrote:
Tari wrote:
You should get a 8xp file that's no more than a few hundred bytes, so I don't know what you're getting out though it's not entirely surprising that the documentation I wrote without testing is wrong.

Feeding this into Brass (Brass.exe test.asm test.8xp) does what I expect, in any case:
Code:
.binarymode TI8X
.org $9d93
.db $bb, $6d
    ret

I have tried this program with Asm token from Catalog, and then from the prgm menu, selecting test: Asm(prgmTEST).

No. This is the most basic Ti-ASM program ever -- it's supposed to start and immediately end itself. So it looks like you've done everything correctly and that everything is working the way it should.
Hot_Dog wrote:
matalog wrote:
Tari wrote:

Code:
.binarymode TI8X
.org $9d93
.db $bb, $6d
    ret

No. This is the most basic Ti-ASM program ever -- it's supposed to start and immediately end itself. So it looks like you've done everything correctly and that everything is working the way it should.

Yes, thanks, that is possible, although not proven.

Can you suggest a small edit that will leave or show proof that it was definitely run correctly?
matalog wrote:
Hot_Dog wrote:
matalog wrote:
Tari wrote:

Code:
.binarymode TI8X
.org $9d93
.db $bb, $6d
    ret

Yes, thanks, that is possible, although not proven.

Can you suggest a small edit that will leave or show proof that it was definitely run correctly?

That's what the Done is for, no?
If it failed to assemble, you either wouldn't have an 8xp file to run, or the calculator would give an error when you tried to run it with Asm(.
If it assembled but with incorrect contents, it would very likely just crash.
So, it's almost definitely working, unless you assembled, sent, or ran the wrong file somehow.
Tari wrote:

Code:
.binarymode TI8X
.org $9d93
.db $bb, $6d
    ret

Okay, I finally got it to work.

You may as well add the line

.binarymode TI8X

To the top of your example program on Day 1, or some reference to brass compiling for your calculator, so that others can get it to work easier.

Thanks for the help Tari.
Tari wrote:
Why not actually fork from my official mirror? Any why call for collaborators (it sounds like you're intending not to contribute back, which doesn't make sense to me)?

You can have the github page automatically mirror the gitlab (probably with git hooks). That would keep all the repos up to date
Doing some work on our wikis inspired me to make this tutorial better, so I've replaced the custom build process with Hugo and taken advantage of prebuilt themes to make everything easier to navigate.

While doing this I got around to fixing shortcomings that were introduced in the new version:
  • Replaced the old frame-based Z80 instruction reference with a version of the one from clrhome.org that's highly-ranked if you search for something like "z80 instruction set" (it's permissively licensed, so this is allowed)
  • Added a build of SPASM-as-WASM based on my earlier work so readers can get started without setting up any tools at all and assemble programs directly in a browser.
  • Rewrote much of day 1 to recommend using the new browser-based assembler while still providing information on alternatives and hints as to local use (but leaving the specifics up to the reader because providing comprehensive cross-platform documentation is hard).

This is all live at the same location as before: https://taricorp.gitlab.io/83pa28d/

Here are some illustrations of the changes. First, before:

and after:

One thing that's currently missing is nice syntax highlighting of the Z80 code snippets, because Hugo's syntax highlighter is not extensible. I've started putting together a patch that implements it that I will then try to get upstreamed into the syntax highlighting library so eventually we can have it back.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours