Nicely done! This is coming together very well.

Really like the look of the track now, especially the checkered finish line--is it at all conceivable to get rid of the green trail behind the car?

Looking forward to the release!
epsilon5 wrote:
Nicely done! This is coming together very well.

Really like the look of the track now, especially the checkered finish line--is it at all conceivable to get rid of the green trail behind the car?

Looking forward to the release!

The trail is intentional as it shows when wheelspin occurs- it’s definitely possible to remove it entirely, and I think I might have an idea on how to do that and still indicate wheelspin.
Oxiti8 wrote:
The trail is intentional as it shows when wheelspin occurs- it’s definitely possible to remove it entirely, and I think I might have an idea on how to do that and still indicate wheelspin.

Oh, got it--that would make a lot more sense. I guess it's probably not possible to make it a different color? Black would be preferable, clearly.
epsilon5 wrote:
Oxiti8 wrote:

Oh, got it--that would make a lot more sense. I guess it's probably not possible to make it a different color? Black would be preferable, clearly.

Not using the current method, no. I tried using a text “=“ a few weeks ago to no avail- but I think I may be able to do some stuff with pt-on instead.
Here's a look at the new effect I came up with:

It utilizes Pt-on( to create the two lines behind the car when you have wheelspin.
Some more changes:

- I changed all the car names to avoid copyrightAnd also because the name "DMCA-12" is hilarious to me

- Turns out ladder races had a bunch of issues such as not being able to progress past the 27th race and the final race payout being wrong. That's been fixed.

- After realizing that Cesium does in fact support color icons I've made a new DCS8/Cesium Icon for the game:

I had to use Wabbitemu and DCS8 for this because CEmu does not seem to cooperate with running any major CE shells
- The Oxiti Increceba (2023) is now obtainable by beating the fifth special event. (Which itself is unfinished...)

I've also now figured out a system to have the player unlock the ability to use custom cars: To use custom cars, you must obtain a "custom car license" (basically setting the custom car slot of the save file to indicate that the car is owned) by beating the final special event, the Tier 3 Championships.

Originally, I was going to have the requirement for unlocking the custom car license be beating every ladder race, but that's a bit too much of a grind to unlock the feature compared to the special events

Car Specific events will also still play a role with custom cars, with you unlocking new custom car body styles (These will be relevant later down the line but not really at release) as you progress.

Beating every car specific race will allow you to make custom cars for any tier, not just Tier 4 like in CSRacing I.

I figure these restrictions are a nice tradeoff in exchange for removing the CR. cost for creating custom cars.

That being said, you won't be able to create custom cars at launch using CSREVO, as I'm going to release a separate program called CSRacing II Car Studio to allow for the ability to store multiple custom cars on-calc (and to allow for one to release DLC cars for the game) simultaneously and potentially use a library. CSRacing II Car Studio will likely be released at either the end of this month or early October.
Here's a mostly finalized car list:

1: CRUX Si (1991) - T1 - FWD - JPN
2: Camaco SS (1969) - T1 - RWD - USA
3: Forkus RS (2009) - T2 - FWD - USA
4: Contact LP400 (1974) - T2 - RWD - EUR
5: 7-11 GT3 RS (2016) - T3 - RWD - EUR
6: 'Vette (2020) - T3 - RWD - USA
7: DMCA-12 (1982) - T1 - RWD - USA
8: Sacks-O (1997) - T1 - FWD - EUR
9: Super-A (1998) - T2 - RWD - JPN
10: GTR R33 (1997) - T2 - AWD - JPN
11: GTR R35 (2017) - T3 - AWD - JPN
12: Enso (2003) - T3 - RWD - EUR
13*: Oxiti Increceba (2023) - T3 - AWD - USA

I've finished adding all but three of the above cars to the game. I'm not too sure on the model year for 2 of them but the rest of the cars and their years are pretty much finalized.

I've finally started working on adding the Car Specific races:

I've already gone into detail on how they work in the past so I won't get into that here. However, there is a new feature where after beating all the Car Specific races, "Car Specific" on the event list is actually replaced with "Custom Spec" unlike CSRacing where Custom Spec was still accessed through the Car Specific menu option.

I am going to delay the release of the game by a day to the 18th rather than the 17th, as this week is going to be a bit busier for me than expected and I want to have a little more time to thoroughly bugtest this before release.
V1.0: Release!

After over 2 months of work, Calculator Street Racing II: Evolution is finally complete!

I've submitted it to the archives, TI-Planet, ticalc.org, and GitHub

Go give it a try!
V1.1 - Bugfix and gear ratio viewer

Turns out v1.0 had a minor bug where weight upgrades were incorrectly applied to the weight value when changing cars.

I've fixed that in v1.1, but also took the opportunity to add a new feature: You can now view your car's gear ratios in the tuning menu by selecting "RATIOS".

There's also a couple other minor changes such as your player ID now being displayed in the records menu as well as a couple optimnizations.

I've submitted the update to the archives.
Here's some of my current best time trials times:

Both tier 1 times were set with a fully upgraded Sacks-O '97, the long time trial run probably wasn't the fastest as the Sacks-O is much more suited to acceleration than top speed and I missed the perfect start on both runs.

Both Tier 2 runs were done in a fully upgraded GTR R33 '97, which as far as I can tell seems to be the fastest Tier 2 car. The Contact LP400 might be a bit faster in the long event though as it has less gears to shift through.

Tier 3 I did in a fully upgraded Oxiti Increceba '23. The tier 3 cars are probably the most varied in their strengths and weaknesses while also all being equally viable- cars like the GTR R35 '17 and Increceba have really good launches but the R35 has the lowest top speed out of the tier 3 cars and the Increceba has the highest top speed, although the Increceba has somewhat slow acceleration meaning it takes a long time to reach said speed. The Enso '03 has low grip but once the tires grip it accelerates the fastest. The 7-11 GT3 RS '16 and the 'Vette '20 are the more balanced of the Tier 3 cars, having good grip and acceleration all around.

Feel free to take a shot at beating my times.
Time to update the game again several months later!

I’ve finally finalized the custom car format and added the car loader into CSREVO. Custom cars are stored in appvars that start with the “CAR” prefix followed by the car’s shortname. This format stores the car’s performance data as well as its name and color. This format allows you to store as many custom cars as you want on your calculator as you have room for, and also means you’ll be able to create multiple custom cars at a time on calc without having to worry about them being overwritten.

However, pure ti-basic cannot read from or write to appvars. To get around this, I’m using the new Celtic CE library for reading and writing to appvars- this means you’ll need to have it installed if you want to use custom cars (the rest of the game works fine without it.

This will come as part of version 2.0, which should release sometime this weekend. CSRacing II Car Studio (what you’ll use to actually make the custom cars) will be released later in February.

In addition to custom car support Version 2.0 also makes a number of fixes and improvements:

- Perfect starts have had their launch speed multiplier buffed from .05 to .12. Before this, Good starts were actually BETTER than perfect starts off the line because they have a multiplier of .1. I intended the effects of both to stack on top of each other originally, but given the game was balanced around this broken effect I don’t want a .15 launch multiplier making the game too easy.

- The “RATIOS” screen in the tuning menu now only shows you the ratios of the gears your car actually has as opposed to the ratios of all 7 possible gear ratio slots.

- The current car name is now displayed on the time trials and machine test results screens. This makes it easier to show off your new records to other people in a single screenshot. in case you actually want to do that

- Fixed an issue where the Camaco SS ‘69 was incorrectly listed as Tier 2 instead of Tier 1 in the car dealership it’s the inverse of that pre-V1.3 CSRacing I issue!

This will likely be the last update for CSRacing II assuming I don’t find any more bugs. Once I finish CSRacing II Car Studio, I’m planning to release DLC Custom car packs every month or so for the next few months until I decide to move onto a potential CSRacing III or I run out of cool ideas for custom cars.
or just get bored It’d be a waste for me to put all this effort into making a custom car format and then just not use it.

I’ll also be including one “custom” car with Version 2.0, the GTR R33 ‘97. This is a conversion of one of the cars already availiable in the game to the custom car format that I’ve been using for testing. Feel free to mess around with it in an appvar editor if you want to better understand how the custom car appvars work,or just want to get an idea of how custom cars can be used ingame.

It’s taken a good bit of work to get to this point, and I hope you’ll consider giving creating your own cars a try!
Very nice idea! I might have a look at some gameplay videos of Sega GT's Carrozeria before you really get into the process of making the studio program, as I think that was a great implementation of custom cars that didn't detract from the value of the official cars in the game.

Any ideas about how these cars will be priced (presumably you can't just make them for free) and the ability to create them will be limited by player progression, if at all?
epsilon5 wrote:
Very nice idea! I might have a look at some gameplay videos of Sega GT's Carrozeria before you really get into the process of making the studio program, as I think that was a great implementation of custom cars that didn't detract from the value of the official cars in the game.

Any ideas about how these cars will be priced (presumably you can't just make them for free) and the ability to create them will be limited by player progression, if at all?

In CSRacing I, the custom car creator was unlocked after beating the final Crew Leader, and the price to create a custom car started at 100,000 Cr. That price would be lowered by 3,000 Cr. for every car specific race you beat. Once you beat all 30, the price dropped all the way to 10,000 Cr.

However, due to the way CSRacing I’s custom car system worked, there were no limitations on loading custom cars- someone could make a custom car and send the file to someone just starting the game, letting them use the custom car in almost any event.

Note that I said almost- custom cars would always be put in Tier 4, meaning they couldn’t enter Crew Battles or car specific races.

In CSRacing II, this system has been overhauled quite a bit as there are more event types and more variables to consider.

First of all, the game doesn’t even allow you to use the loader functionality to load custom cars until you beat Special Event 6.

Custom cars will not be locked to Tier 4, but instead will be assigned a tier based on performance.
Custom cars are completely banned from Time Trials, so even if you find some way to fool the performance checking system you won’t be able to use custom cars to cheese time trials.
(Custom cars still cannot be used in car specific races)
You will be able to use them in every other event type, including special events.

I want to give people the ability to use custom cars as an extension to the existing 13 cars, rather than having them be a replacement.

As for the price of creating custom cars, I’m still deciding on that- maybe a price based on the performance level of the “parts” used for the car? I would like to factor in the discounts-for-progression system CSRacing I had as well.

Admittedly despite owning Sega GT I have yet to give the Carrozeria a try, so I’ll definitely do that.
Alright, I know it's been a while and I still haven't finished Car Studio.

However, in honor of CSRacing II's first anniversary, I've decided to release a new custom car of my own: the Oxiti Increceba GT.

It's based on the Increceba, but unlike the Increceba it's geared much more towards acceleration- the first two gears are shorter and the third gear is very long, allowing for good acceleration during the midpoint of races. It also has slightly better base grip than the Increceba and is lighter. However, there is a tradeoff- the top speed is a mere 190 MPH, 40 less than the Increceba and the lowest of any Tier 3 car. This makes it most suitable for sprint races.

You'll be able to download it here once it gets added to the archives: http://ceme.tech/DL2391

As for Car Studio, I'm going to get back to work on it. I'm not even going to try and nail down a release date, so I'll just say it's coming soonish.
For the past 2 years, the Calculator Street Racing series has been stuck in TI-Basic. While this is great for ease of use and compatibility, it has major limitations when it comes to speed and especially graphics. CSRacing II represents the peak of what I feel I can achieve in terms of racing gameplay in TI-BASIC. Assembly libraries like Celtic CE are great, but aren't quite fast enough for what I'm looking to achieve...

...Which is why I'm glad to finally announce that Calculator Street Racing III is now in development for the TI-84+ CE, and that it's going to be written fully in C using the CE C toolchain! This will allow for cars to finally have their own unique sprites, and opens the door for more potential features like multiplayer. Gameplay will feel more fluid than ever.

So, how far along in development is CSRacing III?

...Admittedly, not much further than this menu and the about screen. I can tell you for sure it won't be done this year- I'm targeting a late 2024 (think Fall/Winter) release, but I don't have much experience with C development on CE so that may be subject to change. There are much more aspects involved with developing a game with actual sprites compared to the abstract line and text art of CSRacing II.

In terms of content, here's my current plan: Crew Battle mode will be returning from CSRacing I, this time with all-new crews in a new location. I'm thinking about including 25-30 different cars, depending on how much space individual cars take up on the calculator. Most modes from CSRacing II should be expected to make a return in some form, including Special Events. The underlying engine will be based on the one from CSRacing II, with a few new additions like Nitrous boost. More on that later.

One area in particular I'm looking to revamp is the AI cars. In the past, the AI has worked the exact same way it did back in 2021 on the 84+- a fixed car speed for Regulation/Ladder races, and a fixed acceleration rate and launch speed for other event types. While this worked okay, it wasn't very good for game balance and could get a little boring to play against. in CSRacing III, AI will play by the same rules you do- real cars, their speeds calculated in real time based on car stats. Especially in the Crew Battle modes, where the AI cars will actually be what the pre race briefings say they are, with the stats to match. I may play a little fast and loose with this in Regulation races and other less prominent modes to save on valuable space.

I'll dump more info on tuning, customization, race types, and graphics later when i make a dedicated topic for CSRacing III. In the meantime, you can follow development by watching the CSRacing III GitHub Repo here: https://github.com/NinjaWeedle/CSRacing-III

P.S. There might be a couple rewards for people with CSRacing II/CSRacing I save data on their calculator when they first start CSRacing III... Wink
Ya. Lets go. I've played both your monochrome and ce version of this game and this update looks very fun
Calculatordream wrote:
Ya. Lets go. I've played both your monochrome and ce version of this game and this update looks very fun

Well, CSRacing III isn't an update to II: Evolution, but rather a whole new game.
This is really exciting! I can't wait to see the C version unfold and I'll have to give it a try when it's done! Good luck Smile
Very nice! I know we talked about this on Discord earlier, but I'm quite excited to see what you'll come up with here. And now people can stop asking about DR1VE...

Looking forward to more updates!
Good ol Dr1ve. I used to play that on my calculator when I was younger.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours