Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I am struggling with templates in C++.

What I would like to happen, where new List(length, arr) creates a new List based on what it is assigned to:

Code:

List<int> list = new List(0, {});
List<double> double_list = new List(1, {2});
List<char> char_list = new List(1, {'a');

Unfortunately, this doesn't work as "template argument deduction/substitution failed".
According to the internet, C++ cannot detect templates based on assignment, but I feel like this should be possible somehow.

To be clear, I want to be able to do this:

Code:

List<T> list = new List(length, {some Ts});

Such that creating the list does not specify T, but it is obvious because of the assignment.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about doing this?
A few problems here.
  1. It's telling you that you need to include the T on the constructor, a la List<T> list = new List<T>(length, {some Ts});
  2. You're trying to assign a pointer to a non-pointer variable. Either List<T>* list = new List<T>(length, {some Ts}); or List<T> list(length, {some Ts});
  3. If you do intend to use pointers, don't make them bare pointers; use shared_ptr or unique_ptr with the appropriate make_. That is, e.g., std::shared_ptr<List<T>> = std::make_shared<List<T>>(length, {some Ts})
Thank you!

I didn't realise that new List(...) was going to create a pointer, not an instance, so replacing it with List<T> list(...); fixed my problem.
Great, I'm glad that did the trick. Feel free to keep this thread as "dr-carlos's C++ Questions" if that would be useful.
Yes, that probably will be useful Smile

On the topic of templates, is there a way to create a List<T> using assignment?
Declaring it with List<T> list(...); works, but it would be more convenient for me if I could do List<T> list = something;.

I'm not sure it's possible, but wanted to check.
Yep, you can do exactly that with the copy construction!

Code:
List<float> list1(1, {3.14});
List<float> list2 = list1;

You can also build a constructor that takes an initializer list if you're making your own class, so that you could do List<T> mylist = {foo, bar, baz...};.
KermMartian wrote:
Yep, you can do exactly that with the copy construction!

Code:
List<float> list1(1, {3.14});
List<float> list2 = list1;

You can also build a constructor that takes an initializer list if you're making your own class, so that you could do List<T> mylist = {foo, bar, baz...};.

Cool. I have my own List<T> class, and have done some research on the intializer list, but cannot figure out how I would go about creating a function which allows this assignment to occur.
I have tried overloading the assignment operator:

Code:

List<T> &operator=(const T item[]) { return List<T>(1, item); }

But this doesn't seem to work, raising the following error:

Code:

error: could not convert '{String(((const char*)"hi"))}' from '<brace-enclosed initializer list>' to 'List<String>'
   12 |         List<String> str_list = {String("hi")};
      |                                              ^
      |                                              |
      |                                              <brace-enclosed initializer list>
The compiler won't unpack that single item out of the braces. You're looking for:

Code:
List<String> str_list = String("hi");

Edit: incidentally, your operator is also returning a List<T>, not a reference to one.
KermMartian wrote:
The compiler won't unpack that single item out of the braces. You're looking for:

Code:

Edit: incidentally, your operator is also returning a List<T>, not a reference to one.

Sorry if I just don't understand what is happening, but I have tried using

Code:

This raises a similar error:

Code:
error: conversion from 'String' to non-scalar type 'List<String>' requested
   12 |         List<String> str_list = String("hi");
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~

I have tried to add another operator to handle this but it still doesnt work. Also, is it a problem not returning a reference? That is why I am trying to implement a custom operator. Here are the two operators I am using:

Code:
List<T> &operator=(const T item) { return List<T>(1, {item}); }
List<T> &operator=(const T item[]) { return List<T>(1, item); }

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours