Today, at precisely 6:45 p.m. EST, after over six days' worth of work and many cups of ramen (Laughing), I have successfully compiled a Cross-Compiled Linux Setup From Scratch Wink I had the idea of doing this for some time, and kllnorj's link to linuxfromscratch.org reminded me as to where the project was Smile After receiving some critical parts from a friend, I *finally* finished building my system that I've been working on for over a year and a half now. But the battle is only half won; although my system is now independent of all live cd's, it still doesn't have a gui yet. I will update with more information on that as I go on Wink

EDIT: The LFS Counter seems to be down...
Awesome! That's very impressive; I look forward to see where you go with this.
I was thinking of doing something like that. But then I found Gentoo, and I said the hell with that! Gentoo has emerge. Emerge is the only thing that can kick Chuck Norris's ass
Oh god don't bring chuck norris into this...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Oh god don't bring chuck norris into this...

Bah, fine. Did you have fun configuring your kernel? I always love doing that...

Compiling is great! Watch out though, GUIs take craploads of time to compile, ugh!
Doesn't it take massive amounts of time though??
Can you please write that in Western chars kthxbye.
Quote:
Bah, fine. Did you have fun configuring your kernel? I always love doing that...

That was the smoothest part out of everything Laughing What was a real pain was the toolset; their instructions are trash, so I had to come up with my own Rolling Eyes I'm going to see if I can write a hint or add a contribution into the CLFS book itself about how to *properly* compile the toolsets and how to get lilo running <_<...

Quote:
Doesn't it take massive amounts of time though??

It takes anywhere between 2-3 hrs. on my 500 MHz system, but on my new AMD64 3000+, it takes no time at all! Very Happy (FATK: my comp only takes 9 min. to compile the kernel now Cool ph43r)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
how to get lilo running <_<...

Well there's your problem right there! GRUB is sooo much better Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Can you please write that in Western chars kthxbye.

oh sorry, haha, I have been typing in japanese while in Opera for a while I did'nt even notice. lolz, I was about to post one again in japanese also. lolz sry about that.

-swivel
Quote:
Well there's your problem right there! GRUB is sooo much better

Except GRUB won't work with pure 64-bit libraries Cool
I've used grub, it seems fairly good. Problem is the manual configuration of the default order though. Sad
Ha! He misspelled Kllrnohj too!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Except GRUB won't work with pure 64-bit libraries Cool

..so? its a friggin boot loader! who gives a crap if it can access more than 4gb of RAM or not???
Care to explain exactly what you accomplished to a non-Linux literate person such as myself?
jpez wrote:
Care to explain exactly what you accomplished to a non-Linux literate person such as myself?

He literally pieced together the core of his operating system rather than using a premade one from a distro.
Quote:
..so? its a friggin boot loader! who gives a crap if it can access more than 4gb of RAM or not???

Well, so is lilo...they both get the job done of booting the kernel, but only lilo compiles in a pure 64-bit environment such as mine Razz

Quote:

Hmm...basically it would be like building the windows operating system piece by piece, from its kernel, the registry, the directory tree, the really low-level system software, etc. and you can pick and choose what components you do or don't want, thus making it extremely streamlined and catered to your own specs. Plus you learn in depth how the system works Wink
In that case, congrats. Pretty friggin' sweet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours