I watched Spiderman Homecoming the other day. I'm not going to start a review or spoil any of the plot or details but Peter Parker is a high school student in this film, I think he's a freshman taking some pretty advanced math. What's one thing we all got in high school to help is out with math? A calculator. Specifically, or most likely if you're on our forum, a Texas Instruments.

When I saw the scene I knew I had to scour the internet to find a clip. I looked and searched. Apparently no one really makes a big deal about niche stuff like this. I used key words from the scene and only got promotional pictures and stuff. So, I joined a few IRC channels and asked if anyone had the movie and could get a screen shot for me. When I got to my computer today, this image was waiting for me:

I'm not really sure what he's doing with it, I think it's just calculations and stuff, but it also appears it's plugged in to the circuit? The TI-83 wasn't in the scene for long, I think it was on screen for a total of 1 or so seconds between 2 quick cuts but I look forward to getting the Bluray and capturing a sharper and larger image myself.

I think this is pretty cool. We can all feel like Spiderman when we take out our trusty Texas Instruments graphing calculator.
At what time in the movie does it appear?
But the real questions is why didn't they use a ti 84+CE - It can run C, te hitech alternative. Razz
Unicorn wrote:
But the real questions is why didn't they use a ti 84+CE - It can run C, te hitech alternative. Razz

Perhaps it was too expensive for the budget of $175 million dollars?

I think they didn't want it to stick out too much, it was only a small detail!
Off topic but wheres the Ti-84 Plus CE smiliey?
We seem to be as outdated as Spiderman in this regard. Graphing Calculator

_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I'm not sure. I don't want to give away any spoilers but since this is in most of the trailers, it's in that scene before Spidey climbs up the Washington Monument. So maybe an hour or so into the film? Maybe less?
All he was doing in that scene was editing the graph functions. I had a good laugh about with my friends, though.
It's not very realistic ... in math class he should be using his TI-83 to play games! Smile.
I remember the scene. Lots of my friends still use TI-83 Pluses because it is that calculator that their siblings and even some of their parents used, and the price of new calculators makes it an easy decision to just reuse an 83 Plus. I am sure Peter Parker is in the same situation.

tr1p1ea wrote:
It's not very realistic ... in math class he should be using his TI-83 to play games! Smile.

He was too busy designing formulas to build his Web fluid.

Alex wrote:
I'm not really sure what he's doing with it, I think it's just calculations and stuff, but it also appears it's plugged in to the circuit?

I think it is more likely that he has simply used webbing to hold the calculator in place while he messed about with his calculations. The change that he would have the knowledge to be able to build a circuit where the calculator's output somehow changed something in the circuit is unlikely. Although, who knows. He goes to a high school where technological and electrical experimentation would be encouraged.
Finally got around to putting in my new Spiderman Bluray and was able to use my phone to capture some clearer photos.

Turns out it's not plugged into anything, there's just a big/wide cable behind it and he's simply using it to do math calculations. Nothing fancy. The scene was definitely a "gotta rush to get out of here" and I'm glad the movie was realistic in terms of what a graphing calculator would actually be able to accomplish.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:

57m40s is when the sequence starts and 57m43-45s is when the calculator is on screen.
Well, in the movie, he's supposed to be using it to test passcodes on the door, which i don't think is achievable in Basic, lol
Pieman7373 wrote:
Well, in the movie, he's supposed to be using it to test passcodes on the door, which i don't think is achievable in Basic, 0x5

What if he is coding in on-calc Axe? Razz
Why has no one tried rotating and enhancing what's on the screen?! ENHANCE! ENHANCE!

It looks like a menu, but without a menu heading at the top?
KermMartian wrote:
Why has no one tried rotating and enhancing what's on the screen?! ENHANCE! ENHANCE!

It looks like a menu, but without a menu heading at the top?
This is likely not an actual image of a TI-83 menu, because the text on the screen has 9 rows of text, not 8. Furthermore, it seems as though the text is compressed horizontally as well. With the size of text pictured, one could easily fit more than a measly 16 characters next to each other.
I thought super-smart Spiderman was going to hook up a wire to the 83's I/O port and use the trusty ol' Send( command to open the blast door! Obviously!
I noticed this too! I remember my friends staring at me because I started laughing. Laughing
xMarminq_ wrote:
Off topic but wheres the Ti-84 Plus CE smiliey?

OFF topic, but xMarminq, check this out, and feel free to poke the one who said that he'd do it. The person may or may not be _iPhoenix_. OK, fine. It's _iPhoenix_
CalcMeister wrote:
the text on the screen has 9 rows of text, not 8. Furthermore, it seems as though the text is compressed horizontally as well. With the size of text pictured, one could easily fit more than a measly 16 characters next to each other.

Also, aren't the solutions to the equations on the opposite side of the screen? This looks like a list, almost as if he's in the Catalogue or something else entirely. But you say it's not a menu so I'm not sure what it could be.

oldmud0 wrote:
I thought super-smart Spiderman was going to hook up a wire to the 83's I/O port and use the trusty ol' Send( command to open the blast door! Obviously!

That's honestly what I thought it was in the theater. Kinda bummed it wasn't the case.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours