Recently, I found out that Cave story, one of my favorite games, has been ported to the TI-Nspire. So I figured it could also be ported to the CE. Smile Of course, there wouldn't be any sound, which stinks. The code is written in C++. The main thing that would need to be changed is the graphics, and porting it over to the C libraries. I'm probably not going to be able to do this alone, so if anyone would like to help, just PM me.

For those who don't know what the game is:
http://www.cavestory.org/game-info/about-cave-story.php

Source code:
https://github.com/gameblabla/nxengine-nspire/
This might be cool.

I'm not familiar with the game, but it seems cool, and hopefully this will be, too, if you decide to do it!
As someone who is in LOVE with Cave Story, I applaud the effort. The TI-Nspire version used SDL (I believe), so finding a way to port that over to the CE, if possible, would be your first goal. Re-spriting shouldn't be too hard, especially with ConvPNG.
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
Recently, I found out that Cave story, one of my favorite games, has been ported to the TI-Nspire. So I figured it could also be ported to the CE.

That is quite a loud statement, considering the languages are entirely different, the hardware is completely different, and the nspire's specs are much more game-friendly than the CE's... I mean, you can run linux and play minecraft on the ti-nspire.
I guess "could also be ported to the CE" is the phrase I'm angsty about, I'd go with something more along the line of "It is barely within the realm of foreseeability that this project will come to fruition" but that may be me being pessimistic Razz
Good luck though.. Smile
While there are a lot of differences in hardware, I figure if it can run sound, then without sound it will take a lot less out of the processor (hopefully). Besides the ~94 Mhz difference in processor speed, there's only 154 KB of RAM. If I'm right, then it requires around 1 MB of space, so if most of it is kept in Archive, then memory shouldn't be that limiting. All in all, I have no idea. It would be a lot easier to just buy a ti nspire and download it, but that's no fun. Razz
Processor clocking rates are no indication of performance man. Wink A common misconception though.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Processor clocking rates are no indication of performance man. Wink A common misconception though.

CPU clock rate is is not the sole governor of performance, but it is a huge indicator. And in this case, it indicates correctly. The Nspire is definitely more powerful than the CE, probably even more so than the CPU speed difference alone would suggest due to ARM being much more capable than eZ80.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours